Tuesday, August 17, 2010

This can only mean one thing...

A while back I blogged that a website I use had been redesigned--seemingly to reach an audience younger than me. Here is what that design looked like:



Well, I went back today and it looks like this:



What made them change? Two theories. One is that they read my blog. Seeing as how I did not make the list of most influential bloggers in Tech Comm I am summarily dismissing that theory.

That leaves the most common reason UIs undergo abrupt and dramatic changes: The president's spouse or parents tried to use the site and complained.

Happens every time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe they figured that the black smudges would remind people of the Gulf oil spill, and they decided that was too much of a downer.

Martin Wright said...

Perhaps they've been doing some extreme A/B testing where they change they entire homepage layout rather than tweaking a couple of buttons. In which case, you may see another layout the next time you visit!