Monday, February 23, 2009

Conferences and such

OK, I just got my last set of slides off to Joe Welinske for the WritersUA conference, which is on March 29 to April 1. The presentation is "Architecting UA Topics for Reuse" and I'm pleased with how the it came out. After attending the Atlanta STC chapter meeting last week, I realize that there is still a lot of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) around single sourcing. My presentation uses DITA examples, but I think the principles will be useful regardless of what tool someone uses.

One of the examples I use is a recipe for a cheese grits casserole that I made this weekend and used as a base for my crawfish etouffe. Oh my! It's worth coming to the conference just to get that recipe!

STC conference is in Atlanta in May. STC has extended the early bird rate to help with the economy. I'm doing a presentation on use cases with my boss. Hope I don't screw up.

I went to a 20 year anniversary celebration for the TCOM program at Southern Polytechnic State University. I am an alumnus of that program, a former faculty, former member of their advisory board, and still an occasional adjunct. There was a "here's what they looked like" slide show going in the background, and here are a couple from my academic days:

Doing part of my doctoral studies at the University of Manchester, England


Professor Mike in his office


And this one from the anniversary party itself:

It's Good to Be a Tech Writer

No comments: