Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Moron Holes

My buddy, Miranda, is a gamer, and she showed me a new one that allows the participant to shoot a hole into a wall that sort of bypasses normal space and time limits and lets the player emerge, for example, on the the other side of an otherwise uncrossable chasm. Cool.

I think a similar device explains how some people can jump from assumption A to a logically inaccessible conclusion B--they're traveling through moron holes.

Classical logicians were unfamiliar with quantum concepts such as wormholes, so they had to explain such leaps from A to B with phrases such as non-sequitor or post hoc ergo propter hoc, without any explanation about how the speaker had accomplished such a feat.

No longer. We now have a scientific explanation: The speaker fell through a moron hole.

So at your next meeting when the project manager suggests that the doc can be ready on the same day coding the UI is done, you can glibly reply, "What moron hole did you fall through?"

Uh, bring cookies to the status meeting.

3 comments:

Anindita Basu said...

[standing applause]

I'll do that, yes, and I'll bring the cookies, yes, but if that doesn't help, I'll name you as my thought leader.

Michael Hughes said...

In that case they'd better be darned good cookies :-)

Siska said...

Haha, great idea.
I'm going to keep that in mind for next pre-release meeting.